gmail_logo_big.resized

Facebook

Contact us

Search Site

Twitter Box

Header 2015 NEW 2

Lastest Social Media Posts

19th January KingofMetal79

Project 3: Pi NES

After two large cabinet based projects - a MAME cab and a virtual pinball cabinet - I decided it was time to do something a tad smaller. Therefore I had the idea of replacing the innards of a classic NES with a Raspberry Pi. Therefore I will have access to all my favorite NES classics in one placeall rounded off with a pleasing authentic, retro asthetic.

If you have any questions regarding the above project leave a comment or hit up the forum...

NES Pi

Day 1:

I started by taking the lid off the NES and unbolting the motherboard, catridge head, loader and power pack/socket. These were put to one side as I will no longer be needing them for this project.

 

I then removed the original controller ports and disconnected them from the motherboard. they are be replaced with USB ports allowing me to add more than two controllers and be able to conveniently plug in a keyboard/mouse if required.

 

I have seen people wire up the original ports to the GPIO board/pins allowing you to use the original ports and controllers with the Pi - I will leave this for a future project/mod.

 

I finally then mounted the Pi within the NES casing, using some PCB feet I had left over from the Pin Cab, and fired it up to see if the ports and Pi were working....

Day 2:

Time has come to mod the casing and get out the Dremel - no room for error now! I decided to partial use the existing 'AC Power' and RF Connector' slots for the new power and HDMI cables. Initially, I attempted to simply glue a male power adapter to the inside of the NES casing but it wasn't strong enough so I needed to make a simple wood bracket.

Day 3:

After gluing in both the HDMI keystone and AC power adapter it became apparent that the glue may not be strong enough to keep them in place when I have to keep pulling the HDMI cable in and out. Therefore I bolted the plate in and it seemed to give it the required securement.

I then connected up all the components and packed them into the NES casing before screwing the lid back on.

Now it is time to custom spray the casing - Megaman colours. As the colours are varying shades of blue I decided to replace the standard red LED with a blue one.

If you want to see all the pictures associated with this project then hit the link.

The Final Stage - My Mausberry switch finally turned up. Now it is time to put the finishing touches to the project and wire up the original 'Power' and 'Reset' switches. The press of the reset button returns the player to the emulator select screen and the power button (should) safely shut down the Raspberry Pi down rather than a 'hard' reset by pulling the power supply out.